Senior Immigration Attorney, Safe Passage Project
Safe Passage Project provides free lawyers to young refugees and immigrants who are being deported. To date, we have supported more than 1,000 young people in NYC. The New York Immigration Court has more than 15,000 cases involving unaccompanied minors on its docket, many of whom are fleeing trauma such as gang violence and recruitment, abuse, and sexual assault. Immigrant children are not afforded free legal representation by the government, regardless of their age. As a result more than half of immigrant children must go through immigration proceedings without the aid of a lawyer. Without a lawyer, more than 80% of children are issued deportation orders, returning to the danger from which they fled. This is where Safe Passage Project steps in, providing free legal assistance to these refugees and immigrant children in New York City and Long Island.
The Senior Immigration Attorney will be joining a group of exceptional public interest attorneys to directly impact the lives of immigrant children looking for safety and security. The Senior Immigration Attorney will mentor pro bono attorneys in providing legal representation in immigration and other related proceedings, including cases involving asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, and other forms of immigration relief.
- Supervise and mentor pro bono attorneys with Safe Passage Project.
- Represent immigrant clients in similar proceedings.
- Collaborate with Senior Staff in the analysis and creation of legal strategies.
- Contribute to the creation of policies and strategies for Safe Passage Project.
- Supervise and provide detailed reporting statistics on each case mentored and represented directly.
- Prepare trainings and materials to present at Safe Passage Project trainings.
- J.D. degree and admission to New York State Bar (required).
- Four (4) or more years of immigration law experience.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on an interdisciplinary team in a fast-paced, high intensity environment.
- Excellent written, analytical, oral, organizational and time management skills.
- Spanish language skills (preferred).
- Experience working with diverse communities and/or with young people.
- A commitment to the work of Safe Passage Project and readiness to grow and learn with the Safe Passage Project team.
Safe Passage Project offers competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. In addition, Safe Passage Project offers a flexible work environment, including the opportunity to work from home, flexible hours, unlimited time off, and 12 weeks paid family leave.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please provide a resume and cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, to email@example.com with the subject line "Senior Immigration Attorney NYC".