Staff Attorney - Utica COVID-19 Project, The Legal Aid Society of Mid-New York
The Legal Aid Society of Mid-New York, Inc. is a non-profit public interest law firm. We provide free legal information, advice and representation to people who are unable to afford a lawyer in the matters* described below. The program area includes (13) counties: Broome, Chenango, Cayuga, Cortland, Delaware, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga, Oswego and Otsego. In addition, our Farmworker Law Project services the entire New York State out of our New Paltz Office.
The COVID-19 Project with LASMNY provides legal education, advice and representation to low-income clients impacted by the COVID-19 crisis. The full-time attorney being sought will focus on assisting clients with COVID-19 related civil legal matters, including but not limited to consumer, employment, family, health, housing, public benefits, advance directives (wills, healthcare proxies, powers of attorney, etc.), and access to economic stimulus and recovery benefits for individuals and small businesses.
- Provide complete representation to clients on COVID-19 related civil legal matters, including but not limited to consumer, employment, family, health, housing, public benefits, advance directives (wills, healthcare proxies, powers of attorney, etc.), and access to economic stimulus and recovery benefits for individuals and small businesses.
- Develop legal education materials to educate clients and the community at large about COVID-related legal issues.
- Admission to the New York State bar is required.
- Commitment to serving indigent community members
- 3-5 years of legal experience preferred (clinical experience will be considered).
- Possess a high level of cultural competency
- Ability to work with sensitivity and patience towards victims of the COVID-19 crisis, including victims of domestic violence, clients with disabilities, and clients who have experienced serious illness or death in their family.
- Commitment to professional growth, problem solving and interpersonal skills, enthusiasm for
- direct client services and commitment to social justice is required.
- Other qualifying factors include: knowledge and understanding of the legal problems and needs of the poor, prior experience in the client community or in other programs to aid the poor, ability to communicate with persons in the client community; and cultural similarity with the client community.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position and for more information, click here.