Accounts Payable Clerk, The Northwest Immigrants Rights Project
The Northwest Immigrant Rights Project is a nationally-recognized legal services organization dedicated solely to advancing and defending the rights of low-income immigrants and refugees. Each year, NWIRP provides direct legal assistance in immigration matters to over 10,000 people from over 150 countries, speaking over 60 different languages and dialects. NWIRP also strives to achieve systemic change to policies and practices affecting immigrants and refugees through impact litigation, public policy work and community education. NWIRP serves the community from four offices in Washington State in Granger, Seattle, Tacoma and Wenatchee.
Northwest Immigrant Rights Project (NWIRP) seeks a temporary part-time Accounts Payable Clerk to join our Finance Unit in Seattle. This is a temporary position that is expected to last for a period of six months. The Accounts Payable Clerk will work alongside our Bookkeeper, Accountant and Finance Director in supporting vendors and a staff of 120+. Work is mostly going to be completed remotely due to COVID, however, there will be occasional work and training that will be in person in our Seattle office.
- Payment of expenses to providers and vendors requested by legal and other staff based on check requests approved by supervisors and coded to the correct grant/program/location based on the nature of the expense or the client served.
- Receipt and payment monthly of approved employee reimbursement request forms with proper supervisor approval and backup documentation.
- Allocate certain direct periodic expenses charged monthly or other period using MIP distribution codes.
- Receive monthly downloaded credit card expenses and send out to cardholders using the credit card expense form for coding into MIP. AP follows up to sure all backup invoice/receipt copies are received with a copy of the coding form and filed.
- Ensure all expenses have proper backup, received either in hardcopy or electronically before payment (invoice, check request, supervisor approval, and documentation of goods received or services performed) and coordinate proper coding of expenses.
- Set up new vendors before payment, obtaining W-9 forms and coding as 1099 vendors when appropriate and setting up to receive ACH payments when requested/authorized. Issue 1099-MISC forms annually.
- Print checks (or upload ACH payments). Obtain authorized signatures for checks and distribute.
- Ensure accurate filing/recordkeeping for all AP payments and backup documentation whether via check or ACH.
- Maintain security of check stock and order as needed.
- Reconcile quarterly and ensure the correct contents/balance of GL balance sheet accounts for which the bookkeeper is the primary user, e.g., prepaid expenses, credit card payable, employee receivables.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing and defending immigrant rights and willingness to support NWIRP’s mission, vision, and values.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in Accounts Payable and finance procedures.
- Knowledge and experience with fund accounting, accounts payable and payroll functions.
- Excellent written, written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work with detailed information with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to be accurate and meet deadlines in a high-volume setting.
- Ability to learn and follow procedures quickly.
- Commitment to working in a diverse working environment.
- Embraces process improvement and is comfortable making recommendations.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Familiarity of MIP (or ability to learn), online payroll systems, web-based software, MS Word and Excel.
Compensation for this temporary part-time position (20 hours) for candidates with no experience is $26.07/hr and is higher depending on years of directly relevant experience. For example, for someone with 10 years of directly relevant experience the compensation would be $33.45/ hr; 20 years = $40.54/ hr. This temporary contract position is not part of NWIRP’s collective bargaining unit, but includes employer paid health, vision, dental, retirement contributions, generous paid leave (vacation, holidays, sick/safe) and employer paid life insurance.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please provide cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “AP Clerk”. Full consideration will be given to those who apply by July 16, 2020, but applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.