National Hotline Manager, Freedom for Immigrants
Freedom for Immigrants is devoted to abolishing immigration detention, while ending the isolation of people currently suffering in this profit-driven system. Since 2012, we have been monitoring conditions inside immigration detention facilities. Our network of 4,500 volunteers visits immigrants in ICE detention centers throughout the country, breaking the isolation and advocating for those detained. Freedom for Immigrants also operates a national hotline, which detained individuals can use free of charge to report abuses or request support. In the policy arena, we support federal and state-level policies pushing back against the expansion of immigration detention and promoting proven and community-based alternatives to detention. In fact, Freedom for Immigrants is modeling a community-based alternative to detention that welcomes immigrants into the social fabric of the United States.
This is an exciting, full-time opportunity to help shape the nation’s largest immigration detention hotline and work toward a country without immigration detention. Freedom for Immigrants’ National Hotline was featured in Season 7 of Netflix’s Orange Is The New Black, and within two weeks, ICE terminated the Hotline. The Hotline has been restored, after Freedom for Immigrants prevailed in court. This position is an opportunity for someone who is passionate about abolishing immigration detention and who has a start-up mentality. We are looking for someone who is bilingual (English/Spanish), highly organized, and experienced in outreach and volunteer training because this position will be leading the effort to build our Hotline back up to be operational in all 200+ immigrant prisons and jails. This position provides direct service to and advocates for people in immigration detention and their families. The primary focus of this position is program development and coordination, and also involves a substantial amount of administrative work. The National Hotline Coordinator will be based in either Los Angeles, California (preferred), or in Oakland, California.
- Recruit new hotline volunteers to answer and field to calls from people in immigration detention and their loved ones. Ensure that volunteer roster includes language coverage based on needs of people in detention
- Conduct on-going training for hotline volunteers on Freedom for Immigrants’ national online monitoring system
- Educate hotline volunteers on Freedom for Immigrants values, and policy objectives; ensure that volunteers are implementing these values
- Manage and support 20-40 hotline volunteers on a daily basis. Conduct regular reviews of volunteer data inputs into Freedom for Immigrants online monitoring system to ensure quality control and standardization
- Serve as primary contact for hotline volunteers with evening shifts to ensure quality of services
- Participate in hotline rotation as primary and/or back-up staff
- Ensure the quality of data captured from phone calls through regular quantitative and qualitative assessments of monitoring system
- Track hotline calls received/answered on monthly basis and troubleshoot any issues with Freedom for Immigrants’ Tech team
- Provide statements and background information on hotline operations to national and local media
- Respond to requests for support from people in detention and their loved ones, including, filing complaints, connecting impacted persons and their families with external resources, and, when appropriate, passing requests for assistance to relevant members of team, etc.
- Participate in departmental, all-staff, and other committee meetings on a regular basis
- Minimum of three years experience providing services to people in immigration detention, victims of crime, or working with an underserved population or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- This position requires a person with a high attention to detail who enjoys task-oriented work and can work independently
- Must have the ability to utilize database tools and gather evaluation statistics
- Demonstrated experience training, supervising and managing volunteers, a portfolio of clients, fellows, or nonprofit members, preferably at the national level
- Experience managing a hotline and/or building community among a team of volunteers
- Understanding and demonstrated experience in cross-racial/cross-ethnic alliance building
- Ability to perform job duties with a high degree of initiative and professionalism, demonstrated sound judgment, solution-oriented and outstanding communication skills
- A sense of humor, flexible nature, and willingness to support others in a team environment
- Past experience working in a decentralized start-up nonprofit is a plus
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required; Fluency in other languages is a plus
Freedom for Immigrants offers a competitive salary with a generous benefits package. Freedom for Immigrants provides for PPO health, vision and dental benefits; a 401K plan with an employer match after 1 year; 15 days of paid vacation, 10 federal holidays +2 floating holidays, and 10 sick days.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, or for more information, click here.