Immigration Staff Attorney - Detained Removal Defense, Asian Americans Advancing Justice - Atlanta
Asian Americans Advancing Justice–Atlanta’s mission is to protect and promote the civil rights of Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders in Georgia and the Southeast through policy advocacy, legal services, civic engagement, and leadership development. Our vision is a social movement where individuals are fully empowered, active in civic life, and working together to promote equity and fair treatment for all.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Atlanta is seeking an Immigration Staff Attorney to provide legal services to individuals who are detained in Georgia. This opportunity is geared towards an attorney with experience or interest in immigration law.
- Provide legal representation to individuals currently detained in Georgia in their custody and removal proceedings before the Atlanta Immigration Court
- Independently manage a caseload of removal defense claims for immigration relief, including but not limited to: bond and parole proceedings, asylum, withholding of removal, relief under the Convention Against Torture, U visas, VAWA, and adjustment of status with applicable waivers, motions to reopen, and appeals
- Conduct immigration consultations and provide pro se legal advice
- Travel to detention centers in Georgia to meet with detainees (once safe to do so per public health guidelines and organizational policy)
- Prepare legal documents such as memos, briefs, and motions for submission to immigration agencies and officials
- Participate in community outreach and educational activities, including Know-Your-Rights workshops and citizenship clinics
- Develop relationships with stakeholders and community partners
- Contribute to grant reports, as needed
- J.D. from an accredited university
- Membership in good standing in the bar of any state and/or the District of Columbia
- A sincere desire to advocate for social change for immigration communities through legal services in a community setting
- Excellent communication, analytical, organizational, and writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and respectfully with a diverse client population as and community members
- Flexibility to attend evening and weekend events and meetings, as needed
- Fluency in Spanish or one Asian language (Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, Urdu/Hindi, Arabic) is preferred
Salary range for this position is commensurate with experience and is based on principles of internal equity with a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, send a resume, coverletter, 3 references, and a writing sample (5-10 pages) to Palmer Lawrence at email@example.com.