Staff Attorney - Immigration Legal Defense Program, Bar Association of San Francisco
About the Justice and Diversity Center of the Bar Association of San Francisco: The Justice and Diversity Center (JDC) is a non-profit organization that provides free legal services through its staff and volunteers to low-income Bay Area residents. Each year more than 1,600 volunteer attorneys, legal assistants, and law students work with JDC staff to serve nearly 7,500 indigent clients. JDC’s holistic advocacy approach seeks to address the social service and legal needs of clients.
JDC's Attorney of the Day Program provides consultations to unrepresented respondents on the day of their initial court hearings. We are excited to hire our first Staff Attorney, Attorney of the Day (AOD) who will consult with and provide limited scope representation to unrepresented individuals and families facing removal on the detained, non-detained and juvenile dockets at the San Francisco Immigration Court. The Staff Attorney, AOD will create protocols to provide unrepresented respondents more continuous and robust services. The Staff Attorney, AOD will also liaise with the court and attorney volunteers, and train attorney volunteers and participate in data collection and analysis.
- Conduct consultations with unrepresented respondents and advocate for them on the non-detained adult and juvenile dockets and detained adult dockets at the San Francisco Immigration Court
- Oversee the intakes and referrals collected from the AOD Program, with a priority to conducting follow-up services for San Francisco and Santa Clara County residents
- Assist in the training of and communication with volunteer AODs in the JDC AOD Program
- Work closely with the AOD Attorney Coordinator and JDC’s partners to design strategies and materials to protect the interests of indigent and/or pro se respondents before the Immigration Court
- Carry a small caseload of limited and full scope cases in removal proceedings
- Licensed attorney with a minimum of 1 year relevant legal experience
- Experience representing immigrants in removal proceedings
- Fluency in English and Spanish required
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and chaotic environment
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, submit your resume and cover letter to: BASFjobs@sfbar.org or Human Resources, The Bar Association of San Francisco, 301 Battery Street, Third Floor, San Francisco, CA 94111. Reference “Staff Attorney, Attorney of the Day” in the subject heading. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis so candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.