Senior Immigration Policy Attorney, National Immigration Law Center (NILC)
Founded in 1979, the National Immigration Law Center (NILC) is the leading advocacy organization in the U.S. exclusively dedicated to defending and advancing the rights and opportunities of low-income immigrants and their loved ones. NILC’s mission is grounded in the belief that everyone living in the U.S. — regardless of race, gender/gender identity, immigration status, or economic status — should have equal access to justice, resources, and educational and economic opportunities that enable them to achieve their full human potential. NILC is committed to advancing its mission — which intersects race, immigration status, and class — through a racial, economic, and gender justice and equity orientation.
NILC is seeking a Senior Immigration Policy Attorney to start as soon as possible. This individual will directly report to the Legislative Director and play a leadership role in advancing NILC’s Congressional and administrative advocacy priorities in close coordination with coalition partners. They will draft policy analysis for diverse audiences, draft and analyze legislative text and federal regulations and represent NILC at coalition meetings, conferences, Hill briefings and on webinars to engage a diverse range of allies in advancing the rights of immigrants with low-income.
- Work with NILC’s advocacy, communications and legal staff to identify policy and advocacy opportunities to advance NILC’s organizational priorities and develop policy recommendations
- Represent NILC in coalition meetings and in lobbying Congress and the administration.
- Review and provide written analysis of legislation and regulations for diverse audiences, including allies and Hill staff
- Represent NILC in panels, conferences, media interviews and other public speaking events
- Represent NILC in coalition and campaign spaces to build and deepen partnerships with economic and racial justice movements
- A minimum of seven years of immigrant rights advocacy experience at the federal, state, or local levels and/or Congressional experience strongly preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of the legislative process
- Familiarity with building, leading, and working within coalitions
- Demonstrated ability to identify creative solutions and lead teams through complex problems
- Ability to move forward long-term projects while implementing short- and medium-term goals and balance these with engaging in rapid response moments
- Ability to work independently as well as within a diverse team across advocacy, communications and legal departments
- Sharp research, analytical, and written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to travel
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and the NILC’s mission and strategic framework
- Knowledge of immigration law, policy, and procedures
- Strong grasp of strategy and of the political process.
- Experience in developing and implementing major policy advocacy campaigns.
- Ability to define, articulate, and effectively distill complex ideas
- Ability to communicate directly, to be accountable and hold others accountable
- Able to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Possess a deep understanding of the intersectional issues pertaining to immigrant rights
- J.D. degree and bar admission required
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, or for more information, click here.