Staff Attorney, Al Otro Lado
Al Otro Lado is a binational legal services organization serving refugees and deportees in Tijuana, Mexico San Diego and Los Angeles, California. . Al Otro Lado’s Litigation Program challenges policies and practices that violate the rights of migrants. Al Otro Lado is an organizational plaintiff or counsel in seven separate class action lawsuits challenging anti-asylum policies, slave labor practices in immigration prisons, and dangerously substandard care for detained disabled and medically vulnerable migrants. The Litigation Program also files individual habeas claims for migrants whose rights are violated in detention and at the border. Current litigation includes Al Otro Lado v. Kelly and Gonzalez v. Core Civic.
The Staff Attorney will be engaged in direct representation work and organization in both Tijuana, MX and San Diego. The position will be based in San Diego. This position will focus on assisting individuals in the Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP) program, through representation and assistance before the Immigration Courts, and also through advocacy and federal litigation.
- Screen individuals for relief and possible representation.
- Provide direct immigration representation to people subject to MPP. This may include representation in non-refoulement interviews, representation in immigration proceedings and custody redetermination hearings before the Immigration Court, representation before the Board of Immigration Appeals, representation in applications before USCIS, and other related services
- Engage in federal litigation work including habeas representation directly and through pro bono attorneys to assist people subject to MPP
- Representation of other detained asylum seekers and mentally incompetent detainees as required
- Fluency in Spanish is required
- The applicant must be licensed to practice law in any jurisdiction (California Bar preferred)
- Applicants who are fully accredited BIA representatives will also be considered
- We are seeking applicants with a minimum of 1-2 years of immigration experience; we will consider immigration paralegal experience, organizing experience, and/or law school clinic experience
- Applicants should be self-directed and self-reliant, highly organized, flexible, and able to work in a high volume setting with limited resources
- This position may require regular travel to detention facilities and occasional travel to Central America and other parts of Mexico. The applicant must have reliable transportation and be able to cross the US-Mexico border
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, submit a letter of interest, resume, writing sample, with three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with San Diego Staff Attorney/BIA Rep in the subject line. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Al Otro Lado values diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages applications from people of color, LGBTQ individuals, formerly incarcerated individuals, individuals with disabilities, and members of underrepresented communities.