Staff Attorney - SAFE, International Rescue Committee
The IRC in Dallas has provided immigration legal services to the Dallas community since 1975. In the past three years alone, IRC in Dallas has represented close to 3,000 clients before US Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) in adjustment of status, naturalization, and other family reunification cases (consular processing and derivative refugee/asylee applications), DACA renewals, TPS renewals, and advance parole applications.
Embarking on an exciting expansion of its legal services, the IRC in Dallas is newly part of the SAFE (Safety & Fairness for Everyone) Network—a group of diverse local jurisdictions dedicated to the goal of providing publicly funded universal immigration representation for people facing deportation. The SAFE Network keeps immigrant families together and helps noncitizens exercise their rights in court proceedings. The IRC will be providing removal defense representation to City of Dallas residents who are detained by ICE at the Prairieland Detention Center outside of Dallas, and throughout the course of their case for clients who are released from custody and remain in Dallas.
IRC now seeks a SAFE Staff Attorney to join its Dallas team to provide direct legal representation for detained individuals facing removal proceedings. The SAFE Staff Attorney will represent detained clients in removal and bond proceedings before Dallas Immigration Court, the Board of Immigration Appeals, and related proceedings before USCIS. The SAFE Staff Attorney will also represent those clients who are released on bond and continue to meet income eligibility requirements.
Working closely with IRC Dallas leadership and immigration staff, as well as IRC’s HQ Immigration Technical Unit and a host of external partners, the SAFE Staff Attorney will assist in launching this new removal defense program area for IRC in Dallas. The attorney will bring not only relevant legal experience and a passion for this area of work, but also the creativity and flexibility needed to help lead the process of implementing a new program area—both in Dallas and at IRC.
- Eligibility Determinations and Direct Legal Representation
- Represent detained noncitizen Dallas residents in removal proceedings in Dallas Immigration Court, before the Board of Immigration Appeals, and before USCIS where applicable
- Represent non-detained clients released from detention
- Conduct intakes and frequent follow-up meetings with detained noncitizen Dallas residents at the Prairieland Detention Center. Travel may be required in the early morning or evenings, and weekends
- Provide personalized consultations on eligibility for relief from removal and legal case strategy
- Program Management
- Supervise the DOJ Accredited Representative and Legal Assistant/Social Worker on the IRC Dallas SAFE team
- Ensure client and program data is collected consistently, managed appropriately and reported accurately using IRC’s Efforts to Outcomes (ETO) database and other relevant case management systems
- Creativity in developing and implementing internal policies and procedures to guarantee the best legal representation
- Work closely with the HQ Immigration Technical Unit team
- Law degree (JD or LLM) from an ABA-accredited U.S. institution and admission to any state bar
- Experience providing direct legal representation in immigration court (at least 2 years’ experience preferred)
- Thorough understanding of the intersection of criminal/immigration law
- Deep commitment to immigrant rights, criminal justice, and/or social justice
- Demonstrated commitment to representing low-income, disadvantaged clients
- Ability to work well under time pressure and handle a high volume caseload
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally in a courtroom setting and in writing
- Excellent research, writing, analytical, and organizational skills
- Trauma-informed communication skills
- Spanish fluency
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle, active insurance policy and ability to travel frequently in and around the service area to engage with clients and community partners
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, or for more information, click here.