Staff Attorney / Chief Counsel - Commission on Immigration, American Bar Association
The ABA recruits employees seeking opportunities for challenging and substantive work defending liberty and pursuing justice in the U.S. and around the world. The ABA offers competitive employment benefits which include medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k), commuter benefits, and more.
The Staff Attorney position will manage a legal orientation information line (LOP) for detained immigrants across the country. The LOP Information Line is a newly funded endeavor that will increase the reach and services provided through the Commission’s already existing detainee hotline. Currently the hotline receives calls from approximately 350 unique detainee callers per month. This position will respond to requests for information on immigration proceedings and legal relief in removal proceedings. Oversee the work of the administrative program assistant who will assist with the operation of this project.
- Manage the operation of the legal orientation information line
- Conduct telephonic screening and intake, and respond to written detainee correspondence
- Assess potential legal relief
- Perform legal research
- Compile and mail information and resource packets to detained individuals
- Develop new legal materials as needed
- Provide other appropriate follow-up services via phone or mail
- Provide oversight for the work of the administrative staff assigned to the project
- Doctoral Degree (JD, PhD)
- Admission to the bar in at least one jurisdiction
- At least 4 years working in relevant specialized area of law
- High level of skills at legal writing and research, oral and written communications, and organizational skill
- Substantial experience in policy analysis
- Spanish proficiency preferred
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, or for more information, click here.