Staff Attorney - Immigration Legal Defense Program, Justice and Diversity Center of the Bar Association of San Francisco
BASF is a nonprofit organization and the oldest voluntary bar association in California. Today, over 7,400 San Francisco lawyers are members of BASF, which prides itself as being one of the most active and innovative local bar associations. In addition to services and benefits to our members, BASF provides a variety of legal services to San Francisco residents including our Lawyer Referral and Information Service, Alternative Dispute Resolution, and the Justice & Diversity Center (including the Homeless Advocacy Project) which is the largest provider of legal services to San Franciscans.
JDC is a non-profit organization that provides free legal services through its staff and volunteers to low-income Bay Area residents. Each year more than 1,600 volunteer attorneys, legal assistants, and law students work with JDC staff to serve nearly 7,500 indigent clients. JDC’s holistic advocacy approach seeks to address the social service and legal needs of clients.
The Justice and Diversity Center of The Bar Association of San Francisco is the host of the Attorney of the Day Program, which provides consultations to unrepresented respondents on the day of their initial court hearings. We are excited to hire our first Staff Attorney, Attorney of the Day (AOD) who will consult with and provide limited scope representation to unrepresented individuals and families facing removal on the detained, non-detained and juvenile dockets at the San Francisco Immigration Court. The Staff Attorney, AOD will create protocols to provide unrepresented respondents more continuous and robust services. The Staff Attorney, AOD will also liaise with the court and attorney volunteers, and train attorney volunteers and participate in data collection and analysis.
- Conduct consultations with unrepresented respondents and advocate for them on the non-detained adult and juvenile dockets and detained adult dockets at the San Francisco Immigration Court
- Oversee the intakes and referrals collected from the AOD Program, with a priority to conducting follow-up services for San Francisco and Santa Clara County residents
- Assist in the training of and communication with volunteer AODs in the JDC AOD Program
- Work closely with the AOD Attorney Coordinator and JDC’s partners to design strategies and materials to protect the interests of indigent and/or pro se respondents before the Immigration Court
- Carry a small caseload of limited and full scope cases in removal proceedings
- Work closely with the ILDP Director and AOD Attorney Coordinator to design and analyze data collection from the AOD program to meet the SFILDC, SCC, CCIJ’s, and JDC’s needs
- Licensed attorney with a minimum of 1 years relevant legal experience
- Experience representing immigrants in removal proceedings
- Fluency in English and Spanish required
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and chaotic environment
This office offers a collaborative work environment, a progressive work culture, and a wonderfully diverse staff. Additionally, JDC has a standard 35-hour workweek, flexible scheduling (manager’s discretion), and we are a mission and values based organization.
Other benefits include:
- competitive pay
- a generous benefits package that includes
- a choice of medical insurance plans, dental insurance, vision insurance, pretax commuter, health, and dependent care accounts
- employer paid short- and long-term disability insuranc
- life insurance
- a retirement and profit-sharing benefit
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, submit a resume and cover letter to: BASFjobs@sfbar.org or mail them to:
BASF, 301 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111