Program Coordinator - National Sanctuary Collective, Free Migration Project
Free Migration Project (FMP) works at the intersection of law and community organizing to promote freedom of movement as a basic human right. Founded in 2016, FMP represents immigrant clients in their legal proceedings, provides legal support and training to organizers and advocates, engages in public education and outreach, litigates in the public interest, and advocates for fair and open immigration laws.
FMP provides legal representation for families living in sanctuary churches in Philadelphia and provides support to the National Sanctuary Collective, a nationwide network of sanctuary campaigns. FMP is the fiscal sponsor for the Shut Down Berks Coalition working to end family detention in Pennsylvania. In 2019, FMP coordinated a legal response to the egregious civil fines ICE issued against sanctuary leaders around the country, with the result that ICE rescinded the fines for each sanctuary leader involved in the effort.
The Program Coordinator will carry out non-attorney programmatic work in support of FMP’s mission to promote free movement as a human right. The position objectives include elevating strategic public-facing campaigns. liaising with existing organizational partners to amplify the capacity, and refining and disseminating the message of open migration in public discourse. The Program Coordinator will help FMP expand beyond its current core competency of providing legal services and support in order to better achieve organizational objectives.
- Coordinate or support public-facing immigrant rights campaigns, like the #ShutDownBerks campaign to close the Berks County Residential Center, current sanctuary campaigns in Pennsylvania, and the work of the National Sanctuary Collective
- Engage, inform and mobilize members of the community and allied organizations to elevate campaigns in traditional and innovative ways to engage elected officials, government agencies, and other decision-makers
- Organize events, often in collaboration with other groups in the Philadelphia area or around the country, including rallies or marches, press conferences, vigils, workshops, film screenings, and other activities to engage and educate the public and promote open immigration norms and policies
- Help plan and implement the annual Open Borders Conference, including:
- outreach to speakers
- fundraising for conference expenses
- Co-manage organizational communications, including social media outreach, press engagement, and website maintenance
- Based in the Philadelphia area or can relocate there
- Spanish/English fluency required
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Social media competency
- Communications or public relations experience
- Experience in immigrant rights or racial justice advocacy and organizing
- Coalition building experience
- Facilitation experience
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: FMP Program Coordinator Position. Applications will only be accepted electronically. No phone calls, please.