Senior Staff Attorney - Pro Bono Asylum Representation Project, ABA
The South Texas Pro Bono Asylum Representation Project (ProBAR) empowers detained immigrants through high-quality legal education and representation. Located in Harlingen, Texas, ProBAR serves adults and unaccompanied children in immigration detention in the Rio Grande Valley.
The ABA and ProBAR (the South Texas Pro Bono Asylum Representation Project) are hiring a Senior Staff Attorney to provide legal services to migrants returned to Matamoros, Mexico under the Migrant Protection Protocols/Remain in Mexico policy, as well as a staff attorney for the pro bono initiative.
- Provide direct representation to migrants who will have their cases heard at the soft tent "port court" in Brownsville, Texas, as permitted by current funding contract(s)
- Develop strategies for providing legal information and services to migrants who will have their cases heard at the soft tent "port court" in Brownsville
- Provide general information and workshops to migrants who will have their cases heard at the soft tent “port court” in Brownsville, Texas
- Screen cases for potential direct representation or pro bono placement
- Engage with pro bono volunteers
- Performs other related duties as required
- Possession of a Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA-accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in a U.S. state or territory or Accreditation, as required in order to appear as representative before immigration court
- Three years of experience in representing clients in removal proceedings
Fluency in English and Spanish in written and spoken forms
- Licensed to practice law and member in good standing of State Bar of Texas
- Prior volunteer, community, or work experience regarding immigration or detention
- Prior non-profit experience, particularly involving field work.
The ABA offers competitive employment benefits which include medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k), commuter benefits, and more.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, or for more information, click here.