Contract Attorney / Litigation Consultant, National Immigration Law Center (NILC)
Established in 1979, the National Immigration Law Center (NILC) is one of the leading organizations in the U.S. exclusively dedicated to defending and advancing the rights of low-income immigrants and their families. At NILC, we believe that all people who live in the U.S. — regardless of immigration or economic status — should have the opportunity to achieve their full potential. Over the years, NILC has been at the forefront of many of the country’s greatest challenges when it comes to immigration issues, including landmark legal decisions and protecting fundamental human and civil rights. We play a major leadership role in advancing policies that promote the ability of low-income immigrants to prosper and thrive.
NILC has an immediate opening for a senior litigator with significant experience in complex federal litigation to provide support to our legal staff of nearly 15 litigators and 3 paralegals on a wide range of complex federal cases challenging federal and state policies and practices that adversely impact low-income immigrants and communities of color. This is a temporary position and we expect the assignment to last about 9 months. The individual will report to the Deputy Legal Director.
- Provide substantive guidance and support to NILC’s collaborative case teams and attorneys on complex litigation
- Investigation and development of impact litigation
- Legal research and writing
- Motion practice
- Oral arguments
- Taking and defending depositions
- Drafting and responding to discovery
- Review, edit, and provide substantive feedback to attorneys on legal pleadings, briefs, motions, and other case filings
- Troubleshoot and devise litigation strategies responsive to difficult legal issues within cases
- Conduct legal research and analysis in support of currently filed cases and potential cases in development
- Draft legal pleadings, briefs, motions, and other case filings, as needed
- Juris Doctor degree required, 10 years of litigation experience in federal court
- Demonstrated experience in the investigation and development of impact litigation
- Familiarity with systemic federal court litigation, including appellate work, and constitutional law
- Demonstrated ability to perform complex legal analytical work
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, or for more information, click here.