Project Coordinator - Family Reunification Project, Al Otro Lado
Al Otro Lado is a binational legal services organization serving refugees and deportees in Tijuana, Mexico and Los Angeles, California. The Border Rights Project of Al Otro Lado works with asylum seekers in Tijuana, Mexico and asylum seekers detained at the Otay Mesa Detention Center in San Diego, California. In addition to direct representation and community education, the project also engages impact litigation on behalf of asylum seekers whose rights have been violated by US immigration authorities and corporate subcontractors. Current litigation includes Al Otro Lado v. Kelly and Gonzalez v. Core Civic. The project conducts human rights monitoring at the San Ysidro port of entry and its reporting on human rights violations by US border authorities has been cited in reports of Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, as well as many national news publications and media outlets.
Al Otro Lado is hiring a Project Coordinator! The Project Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating daily operations for Al Otro Lado’s Family Reunification Project. The project works with families that were separated from their children under “Zero Tolerance” and deported without them. Currently, Al Otro Lado represents families that have been granted legal permission by the United States government to return for the purposes of reunification and seeking immigration relief as well as families that were denied that right. The Project Coordinator will prioritize ensuring all families granted return have sponsors and paperwork in place as well as other crucial logistics. The Project Coordinator will be the point of contact for all non-legal questions that Family Reunification Program clients may have. Once families have returned to the US, the Project Coordinator will ensure that parents and/or families are able to reunite with their children from whom they were separated by reaching out to hosts of each parent/families’ child or children and developing a reunification plan. It is critical to the success of the project that the Project Coordinator be in regular contact with both sponsors and our clients to ensure that they attend all ICE check-ins and court hearings in their ICE and EOIR jurisdiction, have access to community resources (i.e. school enrollment, medical care, etc.), and to coordinate with Al Otro Lado’s Pro Bono Coordinator to ensure all families have legal representation secured. This position may be based at Al Otro Lado’s San Diego office, but Al Otro Lado will consider a remote candidate for this position if their qualifications are exceptional.
- Establish contact with all Family Reunification Project clients in home countries preparing to return to the United States
- Assist with coordination of travel logistics
- Maintain regular contact with sponsors, Al Otro Lado clients, and attorneys assigned to these cases
- Assist attorneys with tracking ICE check-ins and court dates
- Manage case information in the LawLab database and use LawLab to determine the necessary next steps for each case
- Connect clients and sponsors to necessary community resources for clients released from custody
- Track location and upcoming court dates for detained clients and support Al Otro Lado staff to win their release from detention
- Submit electronic and in-court filings, such as Motions to Change Venue, as needed
- Certain administrative duties
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position
- Flexibility, and enthusiasm about responding to needs as they arise
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- Fluency or very high proficiency Spanish is required for this position.
- Applicants should be self-directed and self-reliant, highly organized, motivated, flexible, and able to work in a high volume setting with limited resources
- Case management experience and/or experience working with immigrant populations are strongly encouraged to apply
How to Apply:
To apply got this position, submit a resume and three professional references to email@example.com with ‘Family Reunification Project Coordinator’ in the subject line. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.