Senior Program Associate - Center on Immigration and Justice, Vera Institute of Justice
The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, envisions a society that respects the dignity of every person and safeguards justice for everyone. Vera works with others who share our vision to tackle the most pressing injustices of our day—from mass incarceration, racial disparities, and the loss of public trust in law enforcement to the unmet needs of the vulnerable, the marginalized, and those harmed by crime and violence. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans.
The Vera Institute's Legal Orientation Program (LOP) was created to inform detained immigrants about their rights, and the immigration court and detention processes. Vera staff work with federal government partners at EOIR and nonprofit legal service agencies to provide detained people at 46 facilities nationwide with information about forms of relief from removal, how to represent themselves in immigration court, and how to get legal representation.
Vera’s Center on Immigration and Justice seeks a Senior Program Associate to work remotely or in one of its office locations (New York, Los Angeles, Washington, DC) with the LOP and Immigration Court Helpdesk (ICH). Vera staff is responsible for managing service provider networks, including monitoring compliance with subcontracts, providing technical assistance, and conducting program evaluation.
- Conduct site visits of program sites across the country (expect to conduct 6-12 trips a year) and draft site visit evaluations
- Provide technical assistance to program sites in the form of site visits, on-site training programs, conference calls, individual consultations, and other means as appropriate
- Plan and execute peer-to-peer on-site training programs for new providers
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly and annual reports to government partners
- Prepare and deliver webinars about best practices, immigration law, and detention
- Continuously identify promising practices among program sites and devise ways to disseminate information about such practices to encourage implementation elsewhere
- Coordinate development and review of legal orientation materials (in English and Spanish) and provide meaningful feedback
- Facilitate regular check-in conference calls
- Assist on other projects as assigned.
- JD degree
- Removal defense experience
- At least four years of relevant immigration representation, government, or policy work experience
- Willing to travel frequently
- Have a valid driver’s license.
- Spanish proficiency
- A demonstrated interest in program administration and public policy
- A desire to effectuate change in partnership with government
- Ability to successfully balance travel responsibilities with office-based responsibilities
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Ability to manage work on multiple projects simultaneously, efficiently and effectively
- Ability to work collaboratively on a team and manage projects independently
- Strong writing and research skills
- Experience with “know your rights” and other community education initiatives preferred
- Ability to work with people of diverse experiences and backgrounds
- Please note that candidates will have to obtain a federal security clearance in order to review program data
- This full-time position can be located in Vera’s NY, LA or DC office, or remote
- Salary is competitive at 80k, plus a benefits package
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter, writing sample, and resume to this link. The cover letter should outline the minimum and additional qualifications possessed by the candidate and address how the candidate will use those qualifications to excel at the position’s responsibilities. The writing sample should be no more than 10 pages.
Application deadline is December 1, 2019, though candidates will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Online submission of materials in PDF format is preferred. However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to:
ATTN: Human Resources / CIJ Senior Program Associate Recruitment Vera Institute of Justice
34 35th St, Suite 4-2A
Brooklyn, NY 11232
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method (online, mail or fax) of submission. No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.