Bilingual Legal Advocate, Northwest Immigrant Rights Project (NWIRP)
NWIRP is a nationally recognized immigration legal services organization with four offices in Washington State. NWIRP’s mission is to promote justice by defending and advancing the rights of immigrants through direct legal services, systemic advocacy, and community education. NWIRP provides direct legal representation and assistance in immigration matters to over 20,000 people with low incomes from over 170 countries, speaking over 60 different languages. NWIRP challenges unjust policies through high-impact lawsuits and advocates for laws and policies that respect the rights of immigrants.
Northwest Immigrant Rights Project (NWIRP) seeks a Spanish-speaking legal advocate to work in our Wenatchee office, which provides direct representation and community outreach and education to individuals seeking legal assistance in a variety of affirmative and defensive immigration matters.
- Prepare immigration forms, applications, and gather and organize supporting documents under the supervision of an attorney
- Conduct intakes, by phone and in person, and interview clients to gather or clarify information
- Establish, organize, and maintain files; Participate in NWIRP’s outreach, community education and development efforts
- Perform administrative tasks related to grant reporting and other requirements
- Other responsibilities may be assigned depending upon NWIRP’s needs
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing and defending immigrant rights and willingness to support NWIRP’s mission, vision, and values
- Commitment to working in a diverse working environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and ability to organize information in a clear and concise manner
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently
- Adaptable and positive attitude
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Proficiency in use of web-based software, MS Word and MS Excel
Beginning annual salary is $45,833 for a legal advocate with no experience and is higher depending on years of directly relevant experience. For example, a paralegal or legal advocate with 10 years of directly relevant experience would start at a salary of $58,811 and a person with 20 years of directly relevant experience would start at a salary of $71,277. NWIRP is proud to be a unionized employer and this full time position is covered by NWIRP’s Collective Bargaining Agreement. NWIRP offers a generous benefits package including:
- 100% of premiums for excellent health, vision and dental plans
- 3% employer retirement contributions; disability/life/AD&D coverage
- Annual leave of 16 paid vacation days, 13 paid holidays, 12 paid health-related days
- 12 weeks of aid parenthood leave after 6 months of employment
- Partially paid sabbatical after 6 years of employment
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, send a cover letter, resume and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Legal Advocate Wenatchee - NAME”. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but for full consideration please apply by October 16, 2019.