Pro Bono Coordinator, American Immigration Council
The American Immigration Council (the "Council") works to strengthen America by shaping how America thinks about and acts towards immigrants and immigration and by working toward a more fair and just immigration system that opens its doors to those in need of protection and unleashes the energy and skills that immigrants bring.
The Pro Bono Coordinator is responsible for cultivating and working with the 11,000+ volunteers in the Immigration Justice Campaign’s growing network. The Campaign’s volunteers consist of attorneys as well as supporting volunteers such as law students, paralegals, and interpreters/translators. The Coordinator will take primary responsibility for ensuring that cases awaiting placement are matched with pro bono attorneys, and that those attorneys receive proper orientation and are connected into the Campaign’s mentorship systems. This will require working collaboratively with local partners who are referring cases in need of representation, orienting our volunteers, and are providing on the ground administrative support throughout the case. The Coordinator will also take primary responsibility for recruiting and maintaining relationships with law firms around the country, and for coordinating trainings for law firms (which may require travel).
The position requires designing and executing a Law Firm recruitment plan and engagement ladder for volunteer lawyers who have different skills and interests, assessing ways to increase repeat volunteer engagement, and building out new pro bono projects to create new opportunities for engagement. In addition, the Coordinator will be responsible for recruiting new volunteers to the Campaign community. Finally, the Pro Bono Coordinator is tasked with keeping track of data on volunteers (including logging interactions and assisting with the team’s data tracking needs) and reporting out on volunteer engagement data.
- Bring creativity and initiative to designing and executing engagement strategies for the Campaign’s robust and growing volunteer network
- Collaborate regularly with our local partner fellows on the ground to maximize the placement of cases with legal representation and to ensure that volunteers receive careful orientation, training and other support during the case that sets them up for success
- Proactively communicate with volunteers by phone and email to answer their questions, respond to their applications, place them with pro bono cases, ensure they are oriented and launched on their detained removal defense matters, and serve as point of contact to help them navigate the Campaign’s training and mentorship resources
- Take responsibility for building and maintaining relationships with law firms
- Cultivate volunteer networks for specific Campaign pilot site partners
- Design, build out and manage special targeted pro bono projects with the Campaign’s local partners to increase volunteer engagement as needed
- Recruit volunteers into the Campaign network, including speaking on webinars, giving live presentations, etc.
- Participate in several weekly meetings with the Campaign’s pro bono coordination team and in check-in meetings with our partner sites
- Input, track and report out on data relating to volunteer communications, applications, vetting, case placement, and case outcomes
- Remain flexible to perform other related duties and tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- J.D. or other advanced legal training preferred
- 3-4 years of relevant experience required
- Prior experience working within the legal community or recruiting and coordinating legal volunteers preferred
- Project management experience a plus
- Experience using web-based volunteer management systems and online community platforms a plus
The American Immigration Council offers a total compensation package (salary and benefits). Benefits include – medical, dental, vision, 401k with employer match, monthly transit subsidy, flexible work schedules, 3+ weeks’ vacation, 11 Federal holidays, on-site fitness center and many more exciting benefit programs.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, or for more information, click here.