Immigration Attorney / Paralegal, International House of Metrolina
International House is seeking an attorney or experienced immigration paralegal for its Ginter Immigration Law Clinic. Oral and written fluency in Spanish and English is required. The Clinic, currently staffed by two attorneys and one DOJ-accredited paralegal, provides legal representation to refugees, asylees, and other low-income immigrants in family immigration and naturalization cases in the greater Charlotte-Mecklenburg region.
Represent clients in immigration matters from initial consultation, drafting and case assembly to representation at adjudications; work collaboratively with other staff members to evaluate, troubleshoot, and monitor cases, including maintaining databases and performing other Clinic administrative tasks; assist in the training and supervision of interns and volunteers; participate in administrative and logistical aspects of any events scheduled by the Clinic.
- For attorneys: bar admission required, with North Carolina Bar admission preferred (exception: recent law school graduates taking the North Carolina bar in February, 2020, will be considered)
- For paralegals: four-year bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, with immigration law experience required
- Strong written and oral communication skills in both English and Spanish
- Demonstrated commitment to working with low-income people
- Strong analytic ability
- Cultural competency
- Strong comfort level using case management systems and other software, such as MS Office Outlook, Word and Excel
Salary range: $32,000 to $43,000 (negotiable, depending on level of education and experience).
How to Apply:
- A resume
- A detailed letter which includes the following:
- Your qualifications for this position
- Why you are interested in this specific position and in International House
- A description of your experience with immigrants and low-income people names and telephone numbers of three references
Apply by email to Jelena Giric-Held, Clinic Director, at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.