Deputy Executive Director, Freedom for Immigrants
Freedom for Immigrants is hiring our first Deputy Executive Director. The Deputy Director must be driven by our mission and have a deep understanding of the movement to reform and abolish immigration detention and its history as well as a keen awareness of the current cultural climate and its implications. The Deputy Director will be a member of the executive management team along with the two co-founders/executive directors of the organization and the director of finance & operations. We prefer that the position be based in Los Angeles or Oakland, but for the right candidate, we also are open to New York City and Washington D.C.
The primary responsibility of the Deputy Director will be to train, motivate, supervise, and evaluate staff with varied responsibilities, encourage mentoring and career development, and help to ensure a productive and thriving work environment. The Deputy Director also will partner with the executive directors in essential leadership activities, including priority setting and organizational development. The Deputy Director may also participate in some donor cultivation and fundraising activities, although the Deputy Director will not be responsible for any fundraising objectives or portfolio.
- Coordinate staff efforts to refine and implement the organization’s FY 2019-22 strategic plan.
- Broaden and deepen Freedom for Immigrants advocacy impact by coordinating amongst and supervising our policy team, visitation and monitoring team, and communications team.
- Manage 5-6 staff members of varied responsibilities, primarily in the field of detention abuse monitoring, policy, and communications.
- Oversee and offer thought partnership to our policy director to implement federal and state policy objectives toward abolishing immigration detention.
- Oversee teams responsible for creating and distributing our message to the public and evaluate content for philosophical consistency, brand and message control.
- Improve upon and oversee a calendar and structure for remote team communications, collaboration and implementing the organization’s major projects. Manage all-team meetings to improve training and team synergy, improve efficiency and achieve organizational goals.
- Participate in significant partnerships, forums, speaking engagements and other external activities to increase Freedom for Immigrants’ reach and profile in relevant sectors.
- Visionary strategist with the demonstrated ability to imagine and execute opportunities for expansion and improvement, required.
- Ability to effectively manage a partially remote team, required.
- Substantial experience managing programs, projects, and people with superior results.
- Experience in implementing effective systems in an organization.
- Strong critical thinking, written, oral presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- At least 5 years in a senior managerial role, preferred, with significant responsibility for motivating, supervising and evaluating staff with varied skills and duties.
- Nuanced understanding of the immigration detention landscape, preferred.
- Experience working in and contributing to the growth of a start-up organization is a plus.
- Fluent in Spanish or another language is a plus.
Freedom for Immigrants offers a very competitive salary commensurate with experience and a generous benefits package.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, or for more information, click here.