Staff Attorney - Asylum, Justice For Our Neighbors Houston
JFON Houston is a non-profit immigration legal service provider which offers immigration legal services to low-income immigrants and refugees in the greater Houston region. JFON Houston is an independent non-profit organization which provides legal services to clients of all faiths and backgrounds. JFON Houston is a member of the National Justice for Our Neighbors network, a national non-profit dedicated to providing quality immigration legal services throughout the nation.
Justice for our Neighbors Houston (“JFON Houston”) is seeking to hire a Staff Attorney to provide legal support and supervision to JFON Houston’s growing legal team. The Staff Attorney is responsible for the provision of high quality immigration legal services to low income asylum applicants. The Staff Attorney will also work to promote community education and advocacy on behalf of immigrants. The Staff Attorney should be capable of working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment where collaboration is important.
- Provide legal counsel and advice to clients who attend JFON immigration legal clinics and outreach events
- Assist clients with the preparation of immigration petitions and applications
- Provide consultations and screen immigrants to ascertain immigration relief
- Provide high quality, client-centered legal representation for asylum applicants
- Develop and maintain a reasonable caseload focused on affirmative and defensive asylum
- Work with support staff, volunteers, and pro bono counsel
- Participate in community outreach presentations to immigrant and non-immigrant audiences
- Engage with stakeholders, including the legal community, funders, and public officials
- J.D. from an accredited law school
- Active bar membership in any U.S. state
- Strong commitment to public interest legal service and to the enfranchisement and empowerment of immigrant communities
- At least one year experience representing clients in asylum proceedings before the Department of Homeland Security, Executive Office of Immigration Review, and/or the Board of Immigration Appeals
- Ability to handle reasonable caseload providing direct representation to asylum applicants in immigration removal proceedings
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work with volunteers
- Excellent legal analysis, written, and oral advocacy skills
- Strong public speaking skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-based environment
- English/Spanish fluency is required (written, spoken, and comprehension)
A competitive salary and benefits will be provided including generous vacation, sick, and holiday leave, professional liability insurance, health insurance coverage, ASISTA membership, and paid bar and AILA dues. JFON is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, immigration status, disability, or veteran status.
How to Apply:
Email a cover letter, resume, and list of three references to Joy Green, Legal Director, at email@example.com with “Staff Attorney - Asylum” in the subject line.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer, and must have reliable transportation.