Pro Bono Coordinator (Attorney), Al Otro Lado
Al Otro Lado is a binational legal services organization serving refugees and deportees in Tijuana, Mexico San Diego, California, and Los Angeles, California. Al Otro Lado’s Border Rights Project provides legal orientation and know-your-rights training to asylum seekers in Tijuana who wish to present themselves to U.S. authorities to seek asylum, while also conducting human rights monitoring at the San Ysidro port-of-entry.
The Pro Bono Coordinator will focus on securing pro bono counsel to support particularly vulnerable migrants in Tijuana and in immigration detention facilities throughout Southern California. Specifically, the Pro Bono Coordinator will identify and recruit volunteers to assist particularly vulnerable migrants at the border and engage law firms and others to file litigation on their behalf. Particular areas of focus include assisting families at risk of separation and reducing the amount of time children spend in detention. The Pro Bono Coordinator will also be responsible for placing cases from our San Diego and Los Angeles projects with pro bono counsel.
- Work with Al Otro Lado’s Volunteer Coordinator and second Pro Bono Coordinator to screen and organize the 4,000+ volunteers already signed up to assist Al Otro Lado to identify those who have experience working with specific vulnerable populations, including children
- Recruit and mentor pro bono attorneys in their representation of vulnerable migrants before the immigration courts and federal courts.
- Recruit other child welfare professionals, such as mental health professionals, family law attorneys, and other professionals and organizations able to provide "best interest" determinations or medical/mental health evaluations to support legal cases
- Work with partner organizations to develop training sessions for volunteers
- Place cases referred by our San Diego and Los Angeles offices with pro bono counsel
- Recruit and deploy pro bono attorneys for MPP migrants
- Licensed to practice law in any jurisdiction (California Bar preferred)
- Minimum of 2-3 years of immigration experience and/or pro bono coordination, we will consider immigration paralegal experience, organizing experience, and/or law school clinic experience
- Civil litigation experience a plus
- Applicants should be self-directed and self-reliant, highly organized, flexible, and able to work in a high volume setting with limited resources
- Ability to cross the United States-Mexico border on a regular basis.
How to Apply:
To apply, submit a letter of interest and resume with three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with ‘Pro Bono Coordinator Attorney’ in the subject line. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Al Otro Lado values diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages applications from people of color, LGBTQ individuals, formerly incarcerated individuals, individuals with disabilities, and members of underrepresented communities.