Victims Services Managing Attorney, Justice for our Neighbors Houston
JFON Houston (www.jfonhouston.org) is a non-profit immigration legal service provider which offers immigration legal services to low-income immigrants and refugees in the greater Houston region. JFON Houston is an independent non-profit organization which provides legal services to clients of all faiths and backgrounds. JFON Houston is a member of the National Justice for Our Neighbors network, a national non-profit dedicated to providing quality immigration legal services throughout the nation.
Justice for our Neighbors Houston (“JFON Houston”) is seeking to hire a Victim Services Managing Attorney to provide legal support and supervision to JFON Houston’s growing legal team. The Victim Services Managing Attorney is responsible for the provision of immigration legal services to immigrant survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, violent crimes, and/or human trafficking. These responsibilities include the supervision and training of volunteers and support staff and the promotion of community education and advocacy on behalf of immigrants.
The Victim Services Managing Attorney will provide legal counsel and advice to clients who attend JFON immigration legal clinics, and may assist them with the preparation of immigration petitions and applications. The primary responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement strategic goals for the provision of legal services for immigrant survivors of trauma
- Provide consultations and high quality, client-centered legal representation for immigrant survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking
- Develop and maintain a robust case load focusing on humanitarian immigration cases, including VAWA petitions, U visas, Asylum, and some removal defense work
- Supervise and work with support staff, volunteers, and pro bono counsel;
- Conduct community outreach presentations to immigrant and non-immigrant audiences
- Participate in the Houston Immigration Legal Services Collaborative (HILSC) Crime Victims Working Group
- Engage with stakeholders, including the legal community, funders, and public officials
- J.D. from an accredited law school
- Active bar membership in any U.S. state, preferably Texas
- Strong commitment to public interest legal service and to the enfranchisement and empowerment of immigrant communities
- At least three years’ experience representing clients in immigration cases (including U visas, T visas, asylum, VAWA, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status) before the Department of Homeland Security, Executive Office of Immigration Review, and the Board of Immigration Appeals
- Handle reasonable caseload providing direct representation to immigrant survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, violent crimes and/or human trafficking
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to work with volunteers
- Excellent legal analysis, written, and oral advocacy skills;
- Strong public speaking skills
- At least one year’s experience supervising legal staff and/or volunteers
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team-based environment
- English/Spanish fluency is required (written, spoken, and comprehension)
Salary and Benefits
A competitive salary and benefits will be provided including generous vacation, sick, and holiday leave, professional liability insurance, health insurance coverage, ASISTA membership, and paid bar and AILA dues. JFON is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, immigration status, disability, or veteran status.
How to Apply:
Position is open until filled. Please email a cover letter, resume, and list of three references to Joy Green, Legal Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “VS Managing Attorney” in the subject line.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer, and must have reliable transportation.