Legal Advocate, Northwest Immigrant Rights Project
Founded in 1984, NWIRP is a nationally-recognized legal services organization on the front lines of defending and advancing the rights of immigrants. Each year, NWIRP provides direct legal representation and assistance in immigration matters to thousands of people with low incomes who come from over 130 countries and speak over 60 different languages. NWIRP challenges unjust policies through high-impact lawsuits and advocates for laws and policies that respect the rights of immigrants. NWIRP is also a trusted provider of immigration-related community education for immigrant communities and social service providers. NWIRP has a staff of over 100 and an annual budget of over $12 million. NWIRP serves the community through four offices in Washington State (Granger, Seattle, Tacoma and Wenatchee), but the impact of our work is felt nationwide.
Northwest Immigrant Rights Project (NWIRP) seeks a Spanish-speaking legal advocate to join the Legal Orientation Program as a full time legal advocate in Tacoma, WA. The applicant must be fluent in English and Spanish. The legal advocate will work mainly with individuals detained at the Northwest Detention Center, a regional immigration detention facility that houses up to 1,575 community members. The applicant must be able to start the position by August, 2019.
- Conduct weekly presentations in Spanish and English to persons detained at the immigration detention center in Tacoma, WA
- Conduct intakes in one-on-one sessions with detained individuals under the supervision of staff attorneys
- Conduct self-help workshops for unrepresented detained individuals seeking relief from removal
- Assist in maintenance of the schedule for daily detention center visits, record phone and email messages regarding detained individuals to be seen, and provide other administrative support for the LOP program, including creating information packets, maintaining files, etc.
- Perform data entry regarding the services provided at the Northwest Detention Center, including the preparation of monthly status reports
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant policies, laws and trends in immigration law, particularly as it impacts low-income immigrants and those impacted by the criminal justice system
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisory staff
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing and defending immigrant rights and willingness to support NWIRP’s mission, vision, and values
- Must be fluent in Spanish and English
- Commitment to working in a diverse and challenging working environment
- Comfort working with strict deadlines and multiple tasks
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently
- Proficiency in use of MS Word, MS Excel and MS Access
How to Apply:
Please send your cover letter, resume and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “2019 Tacoma LOP Legal Advocate Position - NAME”. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled but for full consideration please apply by July 10, 2019.