U.S Legal Services Director, International Refugee Assistance Project (IRAP)
IRAP is seeking a passionate legal professional with strong management experience to lead our U.S. Legal Department, which is based in our New York office. This is a unique opportunity to manage a critical division of our organization and strengthen IRAP’s work around key aspects of our mission—to assist refugees and displaced people around the world and build the capacity and expertise of legal professionals. The U.S. Legal Services Director will be responsible for managing a growing team of attorneys and staff, who assist refugees and other displaced people by advocating on their behalf, and providing management and support to IRAP’s network of over 1,000 lawyers and law students who represent IRAP clients pro bono. The U.S. Legal Services Director will also liaise with IRAP’s other Legal Department divisions, including its offices in the Middle East, and support the work of IRAP’s litigation and policy teams with data and trends gleaned from direct case work.
Reporting to IRAP’s Legal Director, the U.S. Legal Services Director will:
- Oversee the U.S. Legal Department’s programmatic work to ensure that department strategies are effective and responsive to current needs
- Directly supervise senior U.S. Legal Department staff on programmatic strategy, planning, and implementation
- Oversee the workflow of the U.S. Legal team to evaluate and manage performance, provide mentoring and professional development opportunities, make recommendations for promotions and compensation adjustments, handle discipline, and respond to staff needs
- Oversee the casework of attorneys in the U.S. Legal department, including in-house cases and cases assigned to pro bono teams
- Take on a small number of cases when necessary to assist in the management of the Legal Department’s docket
- Serve as a member of the Legal leadership team, and coordinate work across offices
- Support a positive daily work experience for U.S. Legal department staff and create and maintain an equitable and inclusive work culture
This is a full-time position based in IRAP’s New York City office.
- JD required; must be admitted to practice law in the United States
- Must have a demonstrable record of successful management experience, including a minimum of four years of programmatic and supervisory experience
- Must have relevant legal experience working with refugees and displaced people or immigrants
- Sensitivity to client empowerment and to working with clients of all backgrounds, including LGBTI clients, survivors of trauma, and other vulnerable populations
- Highly organized and flexible; able to multi-task and manage a high-volume workload; excellent time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills and the ability to understand and handle sensitive and confidential information
- Additional languages (Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Kurdish, Pashto, Somali, and/or Spanish) are strongly preferred
- Must be based in New York City (or willing to relocate)
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, legal writing sample, and a list of three references at this link. Review of applications will begin immediately, as of June 5, 2019.