Director of Communications, Freedom for Immigrants
Freedom for Immigrants is seeking to hire an experienced storyteller who can elevate our organization’s work and mission to abolish ICE detention through diverse media channels and collaborate with our Visitation and Monitoring, Alternatives to Detention, Policy and Storytelling teams to support and advance their efforts.
The Director of Communications will report to the Co-Founder/Executive Director and supervise the volunteer editor of IMMPRINT, Freedom for Immigrants’ storytelling platform. The Director of Communications will be an excellent writer as well as up-to-date with best practices for social media engagement. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who can work independently and in collaboration with others, whether in our office or remotely.
- Developing and executing a strategic plan centered on our organization’s short-term and long-term objectives
- Building new and existing relationships with news outlets (including print, digital and TV media) to amplify our work while serving as the spokesperson for the organization
- Monitoring the news cycle to discover opportunities to promote Freedom for Immigrants' content and messaging.
- Developing messaging to inform policy efforts, press releases, op-eds, talking points and other essential copy
- Drafting and designing materials for external communications including monitoring reports, policy literature and advocacy campaigns
- Managing and editing our website
- Identifying opportunities for growth of Freedom for Immigrants' social media platforms and implementing new strategies to grow our presence
- Track engagement and analytics on social media platforms
- Assist in creating, testing, and procuring social media ads; adjusting bidding and targeting to maximize performance
- Supporting volunteers and other advocacy partners in amplifying local and/or regional campaigns and efforts through the media
- Exploring potential storytelling projects in collaboration with other advocacy or educational institutions, such as universities
- Extensive experience directing advocacy/communications campaigns on behalf of progressive organizations and/or experience working as a journalist
- At least one or more years in a management position is highly desired
- Demonstrated experience generating conventional news coverage and opinion pieces (print, broadcast and online news outlets)
- Experience in developing strategic plans, tactics, and media hooks for effective conventional and social media communications
- Excellent writing, editing and speaking skills and familiarity with social media platforms and their relevance for effective advocacy campaigns
- Experience managing a website, including familiarity with Squarespace a plus
- Experience with digital campaigns and ads across platforms, content creation and curation across platforms, and data analysis
- Experience with graphic design and video editing software is a plus
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Exceptional attention to details
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Personal qualities of integrity, humility, and a passion for Freedom for Immigrants’ mission
- A sense of humor, flexible nature, and an ability to wear many hats
- Past experience working in a decentralized start-up nonprofit is a plus
- Fluency in Spanish or another language is a plus
- Candidates who have been directly affected by immigration detention or the mass incarceration system are highly encouraged to apply
Freedom for Immigrants offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in the range of $60,000 to $90,000 with fully-paid health insurance and over three weeks paid vacation plus sick days.
How to apply:
Please apply here.