Managing Attorney in Domestic Violence/Family Law, Ayuda
Ayuda is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to providing direct legal, social and language access services, education, and outreach to low-income immigrants in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Since 1973, Ayuda has provided critical services on a wide range of issues, in the process acquiring nationally recognized expertise in several fields including immigration law, language access, domestic violence and human trafficking. Ayuda has office locations in Washington, DC, Silver Spring, MD and Fairfax, VA.
Ayuda is hiring a managing attorney for our domestic violence/family law program, which operates in both DC and Maryland. A successful applicant will believe, like everyone at Ayuda, that all people should have access to professional, honest, and ethical services, regardless of ability to pay or status in this country, and that diversity and equality make this country better.
- Provide training, mentorship, and supervision to legal staff on Ayuda’s Domestic Violence and Family Law team, including attorneys and administrative support staff.
- Collaborate with Ayuda’s social services staff to ensure the provision of holistic services for survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking, with particular attention to services provided through Ayuda’s clinics serving D.C. residents and residents of Prince George’s County, Maryland.
- Provide direct legal representation for a small caseload consisting of family law and domestic violence-related matters, including representation of clients in Civil Protection Order (CPO), divorce, child custody, and child support matters in both D.C. and Maryland.
- Provide frequent consultations for survivors seeking advice regarding family law and domestic violence matters in both D.C. and Maryland.
- Prepare and submit grant proposals and reports in collaboration with Ayuda’s legal director and grants team.
- Ensure the department’s compliance with grant requirements and outcomes, in collaboration with Ayuda’s legal director and grants team.
- Work with Ayuda’s legal director and finance team to ensure appropriate program and grant financial management.
- Represent Ayuda at meetings and collaborations with other agencies.
- Conduct trainings and community outreach on immigration issues.
- Collaborate with and support the organization’s legal team leadership across offices and programs.
- Collaborate with Ayuda’s development department for fundraising initiatives, media requests, elevating our clients’ voices, and publicity opportunities.
- Must be legally able to work in the United States and maintain proper work authorization throughout employment. Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position presented in a general office environment.
- Individuals who are licensed attorneys in good standing with both the Maryland and D.C. bars are strongly preferred; candidates must be an attorney in good standing with either the Maryland bar or the D.C. bar at the time of application and immediately eligible to apply for admission upon motion to the other.
- Must have at least four years’ legal services experience providing domestic violence/family law services to survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking or at least 7 years of other relevant legal experience (including litigation and/or government positions), with a strong preference for those with experience providing direct legal services to low-income immigrants and those with supervisory/management experience.
- Supervisory experience, with at least two years of supervisory experience strongly preferred.
- Experience working with low-income immigrant populations and survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, or other survivors of trauma.
- Fluency in Spanish or another language commonly spoken among immigrants in the District and Maryland strongly preferred (languages frequently spoken by our DV/FL clients in D.C. and Maryland beyond Spanish include Urdu, Amharic, Arabic, and French).
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume here.