Communications Director, Alianza Americas
Alianza Americas is a 16 year old network of migrant-led organizations working in the United States and transnationally to create an inclusive, equitable and sustainable way of life for communities across North, Central and South America. Alianza Americas is the only transnational organization rooted in Latino immigrant communities in the United States focused on improving the quality of life of all people in the US-Mexico-Central America migration corridor. Our work brings an important perspective to all areas related to quality of life – economic, racial and social justice, humane migration policies and protection for children and families seeking refuge.
The Director of Communications is a new, senior-level, integrated team member responsible for managing, connecting, and expanding communications, brand, and digital organizing. As part of a professional, transnational team, the Communications Director will develop communications strategies, produce compelling and timely content, analysis, and updates about Alianza Americas’ work, including the Presente.org project, and position this information in news media in the United States, on social media channels, and organizational websites. Primary responsibilities will include: content strategy and management, media relations, staff supervision and skills training, and project management. The Communications Director will also assist with other communications and administrative functions, including writing and editing, staff supervision and collaboration with staff based in the U.S. and in El Salvador, as well managing consultants and services related to media and communications goals and objectives.
- Collaboratively develop an integrated, yearly communications plan that advances Alianza Americas’ work and mission. Set yearly goals for communications outcomes.
- Create and implement a narrative strategy that widens and realizes opportunities and victories for our campaign work to deliver on our mission.
- Manage communications staff and contractors and specialists as needed.
- Cultivate relationships with members of the media and position Alianza staff and key members as “go to experts” for article publications and speaking engagements. Steward the Alianza and Presente brands, monitor and regularly assess our reputational strength and areas of improvement with key stakeholders.
- Coordinate production of compelling and timely content in collaboration with program staff, to highlight the actions and impacts Alianza Americas, and its members. This includes sending media advisories/releases to media targets.
- Coordinate production of compelling and timely social media content, including managing staff to draft and schedule social media posts, and explore synergies with other digital media platforms. Produce (and/or manage production of) digital content, including videos, GIFs, and other multimedia content.
- Draft and edit content for press releases. Supervise production of e-blasts and e-newsletters.
- Pitch stories, op-eds and spokespersons to the media with a focus on U.S., English-language media. This includes coordinating list-building, tracking and interview scheduling and follow-up.
- Coordinate development and maintenance of story banks, using board, staff, and member spokespersons for priority issues.
- Coordinate tracking of media mentions as well as developing lists of relevant media – focus on US and Mexico, but collaborate with Central America staff for El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala.
- 5-7 years of related professional experience demonstrating increasing responsibility and supervisory experience.
- Experience in managing digital communications on a variety of channels, including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
- Impeccable and effective writing, editing, and verbal communication skills, with great attention to detail.
- Experience supervising multiple staff members and contractors.
- Knowledge about political and cultural issues impacting the Latinx community.
- Strong communication and organization skills; ability to multitask and interact with a diverse
- group of immigrant leaders, partners, and allies.
- Commitment to social justice and sensitivity to the challenges of Latinx immigrant communities in the United States and transnational communities across the Americas.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to carry out complex projects, collaborate with
- colleagues virtually and in person, and meet deadlines, with minimal oversight.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) both writing and speaking.
How to Apply:
Please send a resume or cv, salary requirements, and cover letter to email@example.com. We are currently hiring for several positions, so please put “Communications Director” in the subject heading of the email. Questions may also be sent to this email. We will try to respond to questions within 48 hours.