Organizer (Climate Justice Focus), Alianza Americas
Alianza Americas is a 16 year old network of migrant-led organizations working in the United States and transnationally to create an inclusive, equitable and sustainable way of life for communities across North, Central and South America. Alianza Americas is the only transnational organization rooted in Latino immigrant communities in the United States focused on improving the quality of life of all people in the US-Mexico-Central America migration corridor. Our work brings an important perspective to all areas related to quality of life – economic, racial and social justice, humane migration policies and protection for children and families seeking refuge.
The Climate Justice Organizer’s core focus is to help develop and drive the organization’s climate justice agenda through a transnational, migration, and racial justice lens. The Organizer will help develop the infrastructure and platform for Alianza Americas and Presente.org’s emerging climate justice initiative based on an assessment of current climate initiatives led by our membership and others in which Alianza Americas or its members participate. This infrastructure will not only create a space to include Latinx voices, but amplify the historical impact and role Latinx and Latin American immigrant communities have played in the climate movement. This position will build and solidify relationships with the membership and allies, create and conduct educational capacity building trainings on climate justice organizing, and work with Alianza Americas and Presente.org’s members to drive national, transnational, and global strategies related to Alianza Americas’ climate advocacy priorities. As a transnational organization, the person filling this position will work with multiple partners and stakeholders, including organizations in Central America and Mexico. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience organizing on climate change and environmental justice, and will be tasked with identifying and testing new innovative strategies for digital and grassroots organizing.
Organizing and Coordination
- Coordinate, guide, and support engagement of Alianza Americas network members on the ground on issues of climate change, environmental justice, and climate-driven migration.
- Initiate and test digital and grassroots organizing campaigns to help build awareness and action around Alianza Americas’ climate justice agenda.
- Research and develop a curriculum on climate justice and conduct trainings to engage new members, as well as to broaden and integrate members and allies who have already been working on issues of climate justice.
Outreach and Engagement:
- Participate in relevant policy and coalition tables representing Alianza Americas.
- Engage with and collaborate with Alianza Americas members, Alianza Americas staff in the US and El Salvador, as well as partners across the Americas.
- Convene meetings with Alianza Americas members to help inform and collaboratively develop our intersectional climate justice agenda.
- Develop and coordinate skills-sharing and collaborative learning spaces (webinars, trainings) as needed.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required.
- The ability to work effectively and collaboratively with diverse populations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient Microsoft and Google Suite skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated community organizing skills.
- 1-3 years of experience working on climate change, environmental justice, or other relevant topics.
- Experience organizing within coalitions and diverse populations.
- A clear understanding of the intersectionality of various issues that intersect with climate justice and migration.
- Transnational experience in Latin America is a plus.
How to Apply:
Please send a brief cover letter, salary requirements, and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please answer the following questions in your cover letter: 1) Why are you interested in this position; 2) Your approach to organizing and coalition building; 3) Factors you consider when creating new organizing campaigns and strategies. We are currently hiring for several positions, so please put “Climate Justice” in the subject heading of the email. Questions may also be sent to this email. We will try to respond to questions within 48 hours.