Universal Representation Staff Attorney, Rocky Mountain Immigrant Advocacy Network (RMIAN)
The Rocky Mountain Immigrant Advocacy Network (RMIAN) is a nonprofit organization that provides free immigration legal services to individuals in immigration detention and to children and their families throughout Colorado. RMIAN’s Detention Program provides legal and social service support to individuals held at the privately-owned civil immigration detention facility located in Aurora, Colorado. RMIAN’s Children’s Program provides free legal representation to immigrant children and their families who have been victims of abuse, neglect, abandonment, trafficking and violence through in-house representation and referral to our network of volunteer attorneys.
RMIAN has an immediate opening for a full-time Universal Representation Staff Attorney to represent clients detained at the Aurora Contract Detention Facility, as well as non-detained children and families before the Denver Immigration Court. This attorney will join RMIAN’s team of attorneys, social workers, and paralegals devoted to supporting people ensnared in the immigration system who, without this program, would otherwise face the immigration court without legal counsel.
Direct Representation (90%)
- Maintain a robust caseload in support of detained clients seeking relief from removal and/or release from immigration detention (including representation before the Immigration Court, Board of Immigration Appeals, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and other federal agencies)
- Create and implement systems to enhance efficiency of legal services specific to RMIAN’s universal representation program
Outreach, Community Education, and Development Efforts (10%)
- Participate in RMIAN’s outreach, community education, and development efforts
- Engage in broader advocacy efforts, working with RMIAN staff and partners to highlight the positive impact of universal representation on our communities
- Foster strong relationships with clients willing to engage in campaigns to promote public awareness of RMIAN’s work and its impact on people who seek lasting protection from deportation in the United States
- Possible supervision of attorneys and/or law student interns
- Admission to any state bar
- Experience representing clients in immigration proceedings, ideally before the Executive Office for Immigration Review and in detained settings
- Professional-level English & Spanish fluency – both oral and written
- Deep dedication to immigration legal services, universal representation, and commitment to working with vulnerable populations, in particular individuals in detention and children/families
How to Apply:
Please send a tailored, authentic cover letter that explains (1) why this mission excites you; and (2) why this particular role is a great fit for you – along with your resume, writing sample, and list of references - to email@example.com.