Chief of Policy and Communications, Tahirih Justice Center
The Tahirih Justice Center is a national, non-profit organization that supports immigrant survivors, with a focus on women and girls, seeking safety and justice. Their holistic, interdisciplinary, trauma-informed model for service combines free legal and social services with bridge-building policy advocacy, and research-based training and education.They amplify the voices of survivors in communities, courts, and Congress to create a world where women and girls enjoy equality and live in safety and with dignity. Tahirih’s 105 employees work from offices in the DC Metro Area, Baltimore, Houston, Atlanta, and the San Francisco Bay Area. To learn more about Tahirih Justice Center and its work, please visit: https://www.tahirih.org/.
The Chief of Policy and Communications is accountable for the tone, content, and values-alignment of Tahirih’s policy advocacy and external communications nationwide. This individual directly manages the Director of Communications and a Director of Public Policy (an open position) and is accountable for the quality and coordination of Tahirih’s nonpartisan advocacy and communications across the organization.
- Sincere commitment to equity and inclusion, social justice and dismantling individual and systemic violence against women and immigrants;
- At least 10 years of relevant immigration law or advocacy experience, including more than 7 years in a significant management role;
- Interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations with both internal and external stakeholders; demonstrated ability to maintain poise, tact, and diplomacy;
- Demonstrated experience building authentic and effective partnerships and coalitions among organizations and activists working at all levels, including the ability to work effectively with a broad range of stakeholders by building trust, buy-in, and effective, authentic relationships;
- Experience working within or demonstrated enthusiasm for leadership in an interdisciplinary setting;
- Experience serving as an organizational spokesperson for media, with policymakers, at conferences, and other visible opportunities;
- Senior level management experience with a demonstrated ability to manage and mentor highly intelligent, talented, and dedicated team members, including managing conflict and providing consistent constructive feedback in a timely manner;
- Experience supporting survivors of violence and trauma and those from diverse cultural backgrounds;
- Personal and demonstrated commitment to anti-racist leadership, education, and personal growth;
- Strong project management skills and exemplary time management and prioritization skills;
- Strong financial literacy and experience managing multi-million dollar budgets;
- Nimble across disciplines and subjects related to Tahirih’s mission, particularly social justice issues related to migrant, gender, and racial justice;
- Knowledge and commitment to staying abreast of immigration policy issues;
- Strong emotional intelligence and self-motivation, with the ability to lead with and foster an environment and culture that generates constructive problem-solving, transparent communication, flexibility, and a “can-do” attitude, with candor, respect, and good humor;
- Demonstrated ability to think innovatively and execute creative problem solving, strategic thinking, and analytical skills;
- Exceptional ability to build relationships across lines of difference, forge consensus, and resolve conflict;
- Demonstrated experience leading sustainable processes of growth and expansion and building teams to develop and implement tactical plans to fulfill a broader vision or mission;
- Demonstrated commitment to Tahirih’s values: https://www.tahirih.org/about-us/;
- Bilingual or multi-lingual, a plus; and
- Ability to participate in travel as needed.
The ideal candidate will have significant federal advocacy experience and familiarity with the policies that make it harder for immigrant survivors of violence and those facing forced marriages to obtain safety, immigration status, and economic stability in the U.S. The candidate must have experience effectively leading teams and be a proven senior manager with a track record of supporting staff and ensuring they reach their full potential. The ideal candidate will also have a proven track record of communicating in a nonpartisan manner that honors and centers the experiences of immigrants and/or survivors of violence. Because Tahirih’s communications lift up our advocacy work as well as reach our donors and funders, the Chief will lead communications strategy and work closely with the Director of Communications and the Chief of Development to create and nurture Tahirih’s voice in media, publications, emails, social media, and all external communications. The successful candidate will have facility with public speaking and be an excellent writer and editor, while also demonstrating exceptional interpersonal communication skills to nurture and build external coalitions and to drive cohesion and alignment across internal teams. The ideal candidate has a nuanced equity lens that informs strategy, programming, and management.
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references here.