Staff Attorney, Columbia Legal Services
Columbia Legal Services is a legal advocacy organization that advances social, economic, and racial equity for people living in poverty. We hold government agencies, institutions, and other actors accountable to address the root causes of racism and their manifestation in unfair treatment and inequitable access to resources, power, and opportunities based on race. We focus on dismantling unfair systems of mass incarceration and immigration. We believe that communities should have a voice in the creation and implementation of the policies, laws, and legal systems that impact them.
Columbia Legal Services seeks two (2) full-time Staff Attorneys to join our statewide advocacy team. Our staff attorneys engage in systemic, multi-forum legal advocacy and community engagement to dismantle the structures that perpetuate poverty, racism, and other injustices in Washington. Due to an increase in funding and advocacy opportunities, we are filling multiple positions and seek a mix of both developing (3+ years) and more experienced candidates. All interested applicants who meet the qualifications are encouraged to apply. These positions are based in Seattle, WA.
- Collaborate with advocates on complex trial, appellate, and class action litigation in state, federal, and administrative forums.
- Advance policy advocacy in the state legislature and at the local and federal level.
- Investigate practices and laws identified by the communities we serve that adversely affect their rights or benefits and devise creative strategies for addressing these problems.
- Collaborate with community groups to support their initiatives and strategies.
- Coordinate with other advocacy groups, legal services organizations, and the private bar to identify opportunities to advance the law for our client populations and communities.
- Analyze complex problems using a race equity lens and develop creative, practical, systemic solutions in conjunction with clients and communities most impacted by these problems.
- Experienced attorneys are expected to provide mentorship to others at CLS.
- Law degree and license to practice in Washington, or ability to take next Washington bar exam. • A minimum of 3 years’ experience in litigation. Experience in policy advocacy, complex litigation, or appellate advocacy is a plus.
- Lived or other demonstrated meaningful and sustained experience with people living in poverty, people of color, immigrant, or indigenous communities or the criminal legal system.
- Humility, humor, and flexibility.
- Commitment to exposing and dismantling all forms of structural bias and oppression.
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity, interest in learning and exploring different legal areas and ability to apply multi-forum advocacy approaches at a strategic level.
- Excellent written and oral communication, research, negotiation, and analytical skills.
- Commitment to continuous learning and openness to new ideas.
- Ability to work well on a team, prioritize responsibilities, and meet time-sensitive deadlines.
- Understanding of the importance of self-care, and a willingness to take breaks and vacations.
- Ability to travel occasionally around the state to engage with community and meet clients.
- Language skills relevant to our client communities, particularly Spanish, are a plus.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and a 5-10 page writing sample in PDF format to email@example.com. Please make Seattle Staff Attorney your subject line. We accept applications on a rolling basis, with priority given to those received before February 7th.