Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is a global leader in the protection of unaccompanied refugee and migrant children. Launched in 2008, KIND champions a world in which every child’s rights and well-being are protected throughout their journey to safety. KIND has provided over 19,000 children with high quality representation in their immigration proceedings by training more than 41,000 attorneys and cultivating partnerships with over 600 law firms, corporate legal departments, law schools, and bar associations across the country. KIND’s social services program ensures that migrant and refugee children – who have often endured trauma – receive counseling, educational support, medical care and other comprehensive services. To address the root causes of child migration from Central America and strengthen protection of unaccompanied children, KIND advocates for policy changes and educates lawmakers, the media, and the broader public on the conditions that drive these children to flee their home countries. KIND supports children returning to their home countries by connecting them to essential support services and sponsors gender-based violence prevention programs in Central America to protect children in countries of origin and transit. KIND is also building upon its expertise in the protection of unaccompanied children to encourage the development of pro bono initiatives across Europe in partnership with European NGOs.
KIND seeks a Paralegal for its Los Angeles field office to support attorneys with case preparation for direct representation clients, legal research, drafting briefs and client declarations, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) form preparation and filing, interpretation and translation, outreach and community education events, pro bono placement and related duties, and helping manage other administrative duties in the office, including database and file management.
- Draft, edit, and prepare legal briefs, filings, immigration forms, client case documents.
- Manage client case data and update client management software, including upcoming hearing dates, client communications, and filing deadlines.
- Arrange and conduct client meetings for information gathering.
- Manage client correspondence.
- Provide translation and interpretation between English and Spanish, as needed.
- Liaise with colleague NGOs to receive case referrals and ensure that referrals comply with KIND's case acceptance criteria.
- Liaise with pro bono attorneys and firms, as needed.
- Participate in KIND’s outreach, Know-Your-Rights presentations, and/or community education events as needed.
- Assist in office administration duties, as needed.
- Undergraduate degree.
- Fluency in Spanish and English (oral and written) required.
- Experience working with individual attorneys, law firms, or legal services organizations that provide direct legal service; experience working in immigration and/or family law.
- Experience working with children (preferably immigrant and refugee children); experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma.
- Experience managing office operations and data management; administrative experience desired.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Attention to detail; strong writing and proofreading skills.
- Strong cultural competency and cross-cultural communication skills; ability to work collaboratively with multiple attorneys.
- Ability to adapt to a high-volume workload with fast-changing deadlines and priorities.
How to Apply:
To apply, submit your resume, cover letter and writing sample here.