Staff Attorney, ActionNYC in Schools
The Staff Attorney will join CCCS staff as part of a coordinated citywide initiative, ActionNYC, which will reach immigrant communities across New York City to connect individuals to free immigration legal consultations, document preparation, and application assistance. Although supervised by CCCS staff, the Staff Attorney will work primarily at rotating Community Schools, overseeing a team of six (6) migration counselors/community navigators.
This is a full-time position that will require the lawyer to work part-time at rotating Community Schools, overseeing a team of three (3) migration counselors/community navigators, to provide free immigration legal screening clinics and referrals for immigrant students and their families. The remaining time will be spent performing case work at CCCS’ office. The position requires willingness to travel to all five (5) boroughs and availability to work some weekend and evening hours. Days and hours of work are generally 9:00 AM to 5 PM Monday - Friday. Additional evening/weekend hours are required to meet court and/or program deadlines or client needs.
- Train and closely supervise a team of six (6) navigators who will conduct comprehensive immigration legal screenings at Community schools and provide application assistance to clients eligible for straightforward affirmative relief, including DACA, TPS, naturalization, green card renewals, and others.
- Oversee the provision of all immigration legal services, including the provision legal advice on eligibility, review of all applications prepared by navigators, and on-going case management and review.
- Capacity permitting, provide direct representation to clients for more complex forms of immigration relief.
- Make appropriate referrals of complex cases that are beyond the scope of the ActionNYC initiative to other legal services providers.
- Participate in ActionNYC trainings and work closely with ActionNYC staff to implement program protocols.
- Track and report on data to ActionNYC and maintain case information in LawLogix, CCCS’s internal case management system.
- Participate in large‐scale screening events, including supervision of volunteers and staff.
- Assist with community outreach and know‐your‐rights workshops to educate immigrant communities about forms of immigration relief.
- Juris Doctor.
- At least one (1) to three (3) years of experience in immigration law, representing clients in affirmative benefits applications to USCIS or in removal defense, ideally with prior experience representing children.
- Admission to the New York State bar; will consider attorneys working toward admission to the NY Bar.
- Experience supervising paralegals or other staff is preferred.
- Bilingual in English and a 2nd language preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and computer skills.
- Ability to work in a fast‐paced environment.
- Ability and experience working with diverse individuals and communities.
- Flexible schedule and availability for occasional evening and weekend work.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to: Maryann.Tharappel@archny.org