Can You Hear Me Now? Attorney Perceptions of Interpretation, Technology, and Power in Immigration Court
- Organization: Center for Migration Studies / Maya P. Barak, University of Michigan
- Document Type: Report
- Date Created: Wednesday, November 10, 2021
- Attachment(s): LINK
Drawing upon criminology, legal sociology, and linguistics, this study finds profound improvements are needed to ensure due process in the nation's immigration courts, including:
- Elimination of telephonic and videoconferencing in all but extreme circumstances.
- Modernization of telephonic and videoconference technology.
- Improvement of interpreter standards and working conditions.
- Education of attorneys, judges, and interpreters regarding challenges inherent to courtroom interpretation and technology.
- Immigration Court