NIZ-CHAVEZ v. GARLAND (Supreme Court NTA decision)
- Organization: U.S. Supreme Court
- Document Type: Brief/Motion Papers
- Date Created: Thursday, April 29, 2021
- Attachment(s): LINK
Excerpts from the Reporter of Decision's syllabus / headnote:
- A notice to appear sufficient to trigger the IIRIRA’s stop-time rule is a single document containing all the information about an individual’s removal hearing specified in §1229(a)(1). Pp. 4–12.
- Congress’s decision to use the indefinite article “a” suggests it envisioned “a” single notice provided at a discrete time rather than a series of notices that collectively provide the required information.
- The IIRIRA’s structure and history support requiring the government to issue a single notice containing all the required information.
- Other Deportation/Removal
- Immigration Court