Matter of Negusie 28 I&N Dec.120 (A.G. 2020)
- Organization: U.S. Department of "Justice" Office of the Attorney General
- Document Type: Case law/admin decisions
- Date Created: Friday, November 06, 2020
- Attachment(s): LINK
The Attorney General has issued a decision in Matter of NEGUSIE, 28 I&N Dec. 120 (A.G. 2020).
(1) The bar to eligibility for asylum and withholding of removal based on the persecution of others does not include an exception for coercion or duress.
(2) The Department of Homeland Security does not have an evidentiary burden to show that an applicant is ineligible for asylum and withholding of removal based on the persecution of others. If evidence in the record indicates the persecutor bar may apply, the applicant bears the burden of proving by a preponderance of the evidence that it does not.
- Political asylum