Matter of THOMAS and THOMPSON, 27 I&N Dec. 674 (A.G. 2019)
- Organization: U.S. Attorney General
- Document Type: Case law/admin decisions
- Date Created: Friday, October 25, 2019
- Attachment(s): PDF
Decision by the Attorney General:
(1) The tests set forth in Matter of Cota-Vargas, Matter of Song, and Matter of Estrada will no longer govern the effect of state-court orders that modify, clarify, or otherwise alter a criminal alien’s sentence.
(2) Such state-court orders will be given effect for immigration purposes only if based on a procedural or substantive defect in the underlying criminal proceeding; these orders will have no effect for immigration purposes if based on reasons unrelated to the merits of the underlying criminal proceeding, such as rehabilitation or the avoidance of immigration consequences.
- Other Immigration and Crimes