How to Build a Better Affidavit: Literary Techniques for Legal Writing
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- By: NYIC
This event takes place online
- Immigration Court
While it carries a unique legal significance, an affidavit is still just a story. To be effective, it has to engage its reader. And while they carry a unique legal authority, a judge or asylum officer is just a person. Their opinion of a story is affected by the same literary techniques used in every other story they've experienced. The workshop will use the example of an affidavit of an individual seeking asylum primarily based on their identity as a member of the LGBTQ community, but the techniques are applicable to any form of affidavit.
- Techniques for making every sentence of your affidavit do as much work as possible for your case
- Structural issues of affidavits
- How to make sure you are showcasing the most important information
- Editing techniques that will help streamline any piece of writing, legal or otherwise
To register for this event, or for more information, click here.