Advanced Issues in Asylum and Withholding of Removal
Tuesday March 20
- By: American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Time: 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- CLE Credit
This event will take place online.Webinar/Teleseminar, United States
Twenty percent of asylum-seekers are denied because they missed the one-year filing deadline. Our panel of asylum experts will discuss strategies for dealing with this problem, and provide several examples of exceptions to the one-year deadline. Panelists also will address best practices for winning withholding of removal when the one-year deadline cannot be overcome, and review recent developments and complex issues in asylum and withholding law.
- Exceptions to the One-Year Deadline
- Extraordinary Circumstances: Serious Illness or Mental or Physical Disability, Legal Disability, Ineffective Assistance of Counsel, and Maintenance of Lawful Status
- Changed Circumstances in Country of Nationality or Changed Personal Circumstances
- When You Can’t Get Around the One-Year Deadline: Winning Withholding of Removal
- Family as Social Group: Matter of L–E–A–
- Asylum and Withholding Applicants with Criminal Issues, INTERPOL Red Notices
- Dual Nationalities, Firm Resettlement, and Other Common Challenges
To register for this event, please click here.