Sanctuary City: Legitimate Law Enforcement Policy or Rogue Action?
Friday May 19
- By: American Bar Association
- Time: 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
National Press Club529 14th St NWFloor 13Washington, DC
The President’s immigration-related Executive Orders have greatly expanded the Department of Homeland Security’s immigration enforcement priorities. As a result, the concept of “sanctuary cities” has again gained national attention. This panel will explore a variety of topics related to the concept of “sanctuary cities” in the context of current-day immigration enforcement, such as how sanctuary policies vary among jurisdictions, the impact on local policing, potential reprisals against sanctuary cities including the loss of federal funding, the constitutionality of voluntary or obligated cooperation with federal immigration authorities and whether sanctuary cities ultimately create safer and more prosperous communities.
- Karen T. Grisez, Special Counsel, Fried, Frank, Harris Shriver & Jacobson LLP (moderator)
- Betsy Cavendish, General Counsel to Mayor Muriel Bowser
- Michele Waslin, American Immigration Council
- Paromita Shah, National Immigration Project
- Michael Neifach, Jackson Lewis PC; former General Counsel, ICE
- J. Thomas Manger, Chief of Police, Montgomery County Police Department; President, Major Cities Chiefs Association
To register for this event, please click here.