“Taxigration”: Tax Issues in Removal and Family-Based Cases
Thursday January 12
- By: American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Time: 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- CLE Credit
This event takes place telephonically.Webinar/Teleseminar, United StatesMap: maps.google.com
Many family-based and removal defense clients either have not filed taxes, or have not filed them correctly. Our panel of experts will give a general overview of tax law relevant to immigration practitioners, including how and when tax issues may arise in matters pending before USCIS and EOIR. Panelists will discuss finding red flags in client tax returns, advising clients on basic tax issues, and correcting errors. Panelists also will address recent changes in tax laws that affect noncitizens.
- General Overview of Tax Issues for Immigration Practitioners
- How Tax Issues Affect Family-Based and Removal Defense Cases
- Common Problems in Noncitizen Tax Returns, and How USCIS, OCC, and EOIR Inspect Returns
- Definitions of Common Tax Items: Dependent, Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Credit, etc.
- How 2016 Tax Law Changes to ITINs and Tax Credits Affect Noncitizens and Their Decision to Amend Tax Returns
You can register for this event quickly and securely online by adding this item to your cart and paying by credit card. If for some reason you need to mail or fax in your registration, you can also download and complete a registration form. If you register online, do not also mail in a registration form. The registration deadline for this seminar is 11:59 pm ET on January 11, 2017. For more information, click here.
- CLE Credit Comments: AILA will administer CLE credit to individuals who register for and dial in to the seminar only. AILA cannot verify your attendance and participation in this program unless you register directly for the seminar and use your own telephone line to participate in the call. Therefore, persons who listen in on the call as part of a group will not be able to obtain CLE credit.