Why Yes, This Is My Spouse - Same-Sex Partners & Significant Others
Thursday January 17 , 2013
- By: American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Time: 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
- CLE Credit
This event takes place telephonically.Webinar/Teleseminar, United StatesMap: maps.google.com
Increasingly, employers are finding top foreign candidates who will not relocate to the U.S. unless they can secure lawful admission for their significant others, either same-sex or otherwise. This panel introduces some of the opportunities available for those in non-traditional family relationships and the pitfalls in advising unmarried partners and others on how they can join their family member in the U.S. In addition, panelists discuss the implications and future for DOMA after the 2nd Circuit decision in Windsor v. USA, finding section 3 of DOMA, which prevents federal recognition of same-sex marriages, unconstitutional under Equal Protection. Topics Include:
- Availability and Limits to B-2 Admission
- Consular Variations in Issuance of Dependent Nonimmigrant Visas to Unmarried Partners
- Advising the Partner on the Viability of Self-Sponsorship as an Investor or Entrepreneur
- What to Advise When One Partner Can Adjust Status, But Not the Other
- DOMA in Light of Windsor v. USA
- Scott C. Titshaw (dl), Chair, AILA LGBT Immigration Issues Working Group, Macon, GA
- Victoria Neilson, AILA LGBT Immigration Issues Working Group, New York, NY
- Daniel J. Parisi, London, Great Britain
Registration & Pricing:
- AILA Members: $129
- Non-AILA Members: $199
You can register for this event quickly and securely online by adding this item to your cart and paying by credit card or e-check. If for some reason you need to mail or fax in your registration, you can also download and complete a registration form. If you register online, do not also mail in a registration form. The registration deadline for this seminar is 11:59 pm ET on 1/16/13.
Full and partial tuition assistance will be offered to participants based on need and availability for all audio and web seminars. Please complete the tuition assistance application for consideration.
- CLE Credit Comments: Please note that your jurisdiction may limit the amount of distance learning credit you can earn. To view details on your jurisdiction's credit restrictions and CLE requirements, please visit the CLE Center. To view CLE eligibility and the number of credits you may claim for completing this 90-minute seminar, please visit webCLE. Florida - Attorneys must apply individually for approval of live audio/web seminars in Florida. Programs are typically approved For more information about CLE credit, please email email@example.com.