Asylum Hot Topics
Thursday, November 01
- By: Immigration Advocates Network
- Time: 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Time Zone: Eastern Time (US & Canada)
This event takes place online.Webinar/Teleseminar, United StatesMap: maps.google.com
The Immigration Advocates Network (IAN) is excited to announce its first annual e-conference, "Cutting Edge Issues in Immigration Law," from October 29 to November 2, 2012. Join us for a week-long series of interactive online trainings with national experts in children's issues, U-visas, naturalization, asylum, and the intersection of immigration and crimes. In addition to discussing emerging issues and best practices in key areas of immigration law, panelists will also consider how each of these areas intersects with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA). The cost of each two-hour training session is $40, which will help to ensure that IAN is able to continue to offer free trainings and resources throughout the year.
About This Session:
This session will address evolving law and practice for asylum based on social group membership. Speakers will discuss strategies for domestic violence-based asylum claims, how to frame gender based asylum claims, working with clients who have suffered abuse, and legal arguments regarding social group visibility and particularity. The session will touch on the intersection of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals with pending or potential asylum cases. The panelists are Lisa Frydman, Managing Attorney, the Center for Gender & Refugee Studies (CGRS); Christine Lin, Staff Attorney, CGRS; and, Vanessa Allyn, Staff Attorney, Refugee Protection Program, Human Rights First. The moderator is Emily Good, Staff Attorney, Research, Education & Advocacy, The Advocates for Human Rights. To register, visit http://www.immigrationadvocates.org/link.cfm?20167.
• Learn from nationally-recognized experts from the comfort of your own office;
• Participate in "ask the expert" sessions during each interactive training;
• Access presentations and handouts before and after the training session;
• Take interactive quizzes and polls before and during conference sessions;
• Obtain exclusive access to recordings of the webinars after the conference; and
• All registrants will be automatically entered into a drawing for a free copy of Kurzban's Immigration Law Sourcebook from the American Immigration Lawyers Association and receive other special discounts.
To ensure that as many advocates as possible can participate, the cost of each two hour training session is $40, and participants can choose to register for one or more conference sessions. Space is limited, so please register early to reserve your seat. All proceeds from the conference will directly support the work of the Immigration Advocates Network, and help us to continue to provide free trainings and resources throughout year. When you register, your name will automatically be entered into a drawing to win a free copy of Kurzban's Immigration Law Sourcebook from the American Immigration Lawyers Association.
To register for a conference session, please visit http://www.immigrationadvocates.org/econference/ or click on the link under the session description above. After registering and paying, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to course materials. Payments are processed through Pay Pal, which accepts all major credit cards. You are not required to setup an account with Pay Pal to process your payment (select the credit card option below the Pay Pal account option). If you have registration or payment questions, please email us at email@example.com.
For PC-based participants:
• Windows 7, Vista, XP or 2003 Server; and
• An internet connection.
For Mac-based participants:
• Mac OS X 10.5 - Leopard or newer; and
• An internet connection.
Participants wishing to connect to audio using VoIP will need a fast Internet connection, a microphone and speakers. (A USB headset is recommended.).
- CLE Credit Comments: All participants will receive a certificate of attendance. We are unable to provide CLE credit at this time.
- Download this to your calendar